Back to: HomeKeeper Onboarding Guide
Before this: Installation and Customization
Orientation to HomeKeeper will require a significant amount of time and concentration from your staff. The process is meant to be done at a time when you can follow up and practice the things you learn, as well as introduce you to a system that's both complex and powerful.
The Orientation process is meant to:
- Orient you to Salesforce
- Orient you to HomeKeeper
- Show you how a file would be hand entered from start to finish
- Help get a file from paper into the correct places in HomeKeeper
- Make sure you understand the various fields and objects in HomeKeeper
- Makes sure you know where to go to get HomeKeeper support
- Get you excited about the possibilities of HomeKeeper
HomeKeeper staff cannot hold an orientation meeting until Installation and Customization is complete, even though you can work on filling out a First File.
You and your staff will need to pull the file of a homeowner who applied, purchased and went on to sell a home in your program and enter information about that buyer on on the First FIle Worksheet. You will need to have their application, eligibility and purchase information, as well as information about the property they purchased, including subsidies and appraisals.
You should have your completed worksheet and have all related records on hand for our call including:
- All appraisals associated with the property and initial home buyer transaction
- Subsidy information for properties and the home buyer (including grants and loans) - date, amount funder/lender name.
- HUD-1 Closing statements for the program's purchase (if applicable) and the home buyer initial purchase
- Homebuyer application (including income sources and demographic data)
You will have asked us to add your staff to the HomeKeeper support forums in Phase 2. Each person will then need to set their password for the forums, so you should check with them that they've done this before your first orientation.
Follow these instructions for details on how to add new users and which profile to choose.
Watch this short video for a brief orientation to your Salesforce account.
Read: Learn about what you're actually getting when you get HomeKeeper.
We communicate with our users about webinars, office hours, training opportunities and new releases by posting in the User Announcements forum in our HomeKeeper Support Forums. Follow these directions for how to subscribe.
Once you're close to completing the tasks listed above, you'll be ready to schedule a time to have your first orientation. Send us an email with 3 times when you and your staff are available for the first orientation meeting. Make sure this is a time when you and your staff will have the time to enter a practice file on your own, in between orientations.
On the computer you’ll use for Orientation, make sure that you are able to successfully log in to Salesforce from https://login.salesforce.com/. Also, make sure the computer is fully charged or bring your power cord.
The webinar Orientation Meetings consist of entering a first file from start to finish. To prepare for this training, HomeKeeper users will need to pull this first file, as well as do the tasks listed above. Generally we divide this orientation into 2 to 3 hour/hour and a half long sessions that we record for you to later go back and watch. These sessions are usually divided into:
- Meeting 1: Entering a property and property subsidies and entering application information about a homebuyer: application process, living situation demographics, income certification
- Meeting 2: Entering purchase information about a homebuyer: monthly housing costs, purchase financing (Loans, grants, cash, etc) and pricing
- Meeting 3: Entering resale information: pricing, transaction details and exit survey
Depending on your program, we may be able to finish this content in 2 meetings.
For the orientation meeting to be effective, you'll need to have the time to practice what we did together on your own. After entering eligibility information or a purchase, we'll ask that you to repeat that process for the next buyer, which we'll check over during the next meeting. If you forget what we went over, usually we recorded earlier sessions or you can look at our article on What's Covered in Orientation for a refresher.
You're on your way!
Congratulations! Once you've had your final Orientation meeting, you will be fully "Onboarded" into HomeKeeper, and ready to enter your properties and homebuyer information in on your own. This doesn't mean you can't ask questions, but means you're ready to begin the process of getting your data in and using HomeKeeper to manage your program.